Well, Donors are a crucial link when it comes to fundraising. As the NGO sector is evolving, there is also a change in prospects and donors’ behaviour, their way of communication and of course, how they give. It is imperative to get into their shoes, to understand their perspective.
While approaching donors, always remember that they are interested in those projects that share an idea of bringing change in the society, rather than fulfilling their agenda. Donors merely don’t provide grants in the name of giving; instead, they want to accomplish something with their funding.
They have their ways of doing and managing things. Therefore, be patient and do not waste their time. Keep emails concise, let conversations be to the point, have all necessary information ready and easily accessible by the donor.
Here are top ideas to remind yourself each time you approach a donor:
- Donors are human;
- Donors give money for a reason;
- Donors are busy;
- Donors have their own way of doing things;
- Donors have worries of their own;
- Donors are not ATMs;
- Donors can give more than just money;
- Donors care about the results;
- Donors cannot read your mind;
- Donors like to have fun too.