Yes! UNDP is requesting for proposals for Artificial Intelligence and Potential Impacts on Human Rights in India.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) under the Business and Human Rights in Asia project aims to enable Sustainable Economic Development in the region, through the Protect, Respect and Remedy Framework of the UN Guiding Principles (UNGPs) on Business & Human Rights (BHR).
The project promotes the agenda on BHR by working with Asian governments, businesses and civil society in the implementation of the UNGPs at the national level.
The field of Artificial Intelligence has witnessed rapid evolution over the last few decades. Its potential for deployment for human welfare and economic growth has been widely recognized and capitalized by both governments and businesses globally and in India, across sectors including health, retail, financial services etc.
AI technologies have also been widely and rapidly deployed during the ongoing pandemic to scale health response worldwide, with concerns regarding its efficacy and potential negative impact remaining unaddressed and unexplored.
- The overall objective of the project is to prevent, mitigate and address human rights conditions in business operations and enable a more level playing field for businesses that demonstrate respect for human rights.
- Objectives of the assignments would include:
- To identify, atleast three, key human rights at risk of being negatively impacted by use of AI technologies in business operations across two Indian sectors (atleast three human rights risks identified per sector) and
- To propose solutions for
- Indian Businesses (including an AI risk assessment toolkit- list of key interrogative questionnaire – for the respective industry sector) and
- Indian Government (regulatory frameworks) to mitigate and address these human rights abuses.
The deadline for submitting the proposals is 19-Aug-21